Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!
From the top:
1. Giant by Edna Ferber. I’ve been wanting to read Ferber since the spring when I read about her in Elaine Showalter’s excellent literary history A Jury of Her Peers. I suggested Ferber for Katrina at Pining for the West’s CPR Book Group, yet I still haven’t read her. I started this book tonight and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. It’s a family saga set among rich Texas ranchers – what’s not to love?
2. Daphne by Justine Picardie. Helen from She Reads Novels wrote an enticing review of this last week and I immediately placed a request for it to be sent from our main branch.
3. A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper. This young adult novel has been on my TBR for a while and I finally picked it up when I realized that I haven’t read a YA novel since May. This has been compared to I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith and it definitely has the same structure (a series of diary entries) but seems to be a bit more melancholy and dark.
4. Night and Day by Virginia Woolf. I was tempted into checking this out as it is one of the first novels mentioned in (see below)
5. A Very Great Profession by Nicola Beauman. I’ve always wanted to read this history of women’s writing from 1914-1939 by the founder of Persephone Books, but copies are expensive on Amazon. I discovered that my local university library had a copy and requested it through ILL. It is pristine – I wonder when it was last checked out? I was so anxious to start it that I surreptitiously read while working the reference desk today, but I promise I didn’t neglect any patrons!
Have you checked anything out from the library this week?